Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Telemarketing Drivel Post II

FTC essentially bans prerecorded telemarketing drivel. It's not the "electrocute the bastards by pressing the pound key" solution we were hoping for, but it's still a good thing

MaritimeSpeedskating Asking to speak with a supervisor or have your name removed is pointless.

I agree. The best luck I've had was to pretend to be interested and ask a series of roundabout questions that made me look like an idiot. The moment they get someone on the line they think is too stupid to understand what they're selling they latch on like a drowning man to a life vest. If you pretend to be interested and too stupid to say no you can string them along for quite some time.

Two or three calls like this and the given company stops calling.

At a past residence I managed to keep the telemarketer on the line for a good half hour while I tried to get them to "Accept Jesus." I finally ended the call with "I'm sorry, but I can't do business with a firm that employs heathens." That pretty much out an end to the calls.

Those bastards from the Westborough News though didn't stop calling until I sent their parent company the Metrowest News an invoice for about $2,500, citing the federal law that entitled me to the money.

The telemarketing jerks didn't pay but they did stop calling.


Update: The post was deleted within 24 hours

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Buddy, I can guarantee that I will never read Fark again. They swear they are non-partisan but when Sarah Palin was nominated for VP they decided it would be good to greenlight 20 stories to "digg down" this news. The liberal hate there is too great for anyone looking for something that's not extremist. It's more platitudes, everyone knows it's mostly democrats on Fark now anyway. With all the Bush bashing for the past 8 years. Why should I listen to them all pat themselves on the back over how great their views are for the country. Funny, their readership is down 30 percent since the election has geared up. I must not be the only person angered by their flagrant use of partisanship.