Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Tracking Begins

I created my Fark account on 2003-02-04. I enjoyed Fark.com and posted every now and then. I occasionally submitted a story but none of them ever got green lighted. I didn't take this personally as similar stories, generally with catchier titles were green lighted. Green Lighting is Fark's nomenclature for a story being promoted from the glurdge gallery of TotalFark to the front page.

All was well, until one day, I lost the ability to include HTML in my posts. I had no idea why this was, but soon after I got an e-mail accusing me of "Stealing" content and informing me that I was being suspended for a few days.

Shortly after that, I discovered that tall mo posts were being deleted within hours, sometimes minutes of making them. I wasn't trolling or abusing anyone but was merely trying to engage in the conversation.

To this day I have no idea what I did to get on someone's bad side. I tried creating a new account, but that didn't work either. I made the mistake of creating it from the same IP I'd always used to post to Fark. Often when I tried to post I get an error message saying that they "spilled beer on the servers again" or that the server "didn't feel like" recording my comment.

I left Fark, which was probably the intention of whatever sad, pathetic moderator was diligently deleting my posts. I frequented other sites when I had the time, but largely ignored Fark.

On October 25, 2007 I posted to Fark.com again. The post was in the thread "It's all fun and games when you let your 11 year old ride her bike down the hill on the street without a helmet. Then someone gets hurt and it's a $27.5M lawsuit. Fark: because the street had a hill and guideposts" The gist of my comment was that when I was a kid and was injured in a bike accident, my parent's didn't sue anyone.

The comment was deleted in short order.

As a result, I'm starting this Blog. When ever I post to Fark.com, I'll post the same content and a link to the thread here. This is being done with the following goals in mind:

1. To record the content before it's deleted. If I wrote it, I don't feel like seeing it vaporized in the ether.

2. To see if anyone else is having similar experiences.

3. To let people see what the Fark moderators are doing.

4. Finally, I have a small, futile hope that if I expose these shenanigans whoever is runnign around deleting posts for no good reason will be shamed into changing their behavior or removed as a moderator.

No comments: