Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Tip of the Hat

Fark has many chestnuts, old jokes that get reused shamelessly, as if by repeating the same gag used 1,000 times before you're magically funny. One of these gags is the "I work for ____ so I'm really getting a kick out of these replies," formula. The "joke" is to pretend to be someone "in the know" on a story. The joke however has gotten to the point where it's posted two or three times in every article.

Every once in a blue moon however, it's actually a little bit funny, and this Fark comment was my attempt at complimenting someone who managed it. The article in question was "How shyness became a mental illness: Scientific breakthrough reveals the importance of drug maker profits in the discovery of new diseases"

I quoted the comment to which I was responding:

friendly fire isn't friendly
"I'm an introvert who also has restless leg syndrome so I'm really getting a kick out of these replies."

Friendly, I think that's the first time that gag has been used and actually been funny.

I tip my hat to you.


The first time I tried to post the comment I got the infamous error message:

FARK.com database is down; try again later. (We spilled beer on the servers again.)

If I were Drew (The owner of Fark.com) and I had as many server problems as the error messages claim I'd fire my administrators, but then I'm used to environments where 99.999% uptime is expected, not a happy accident.

The second time I tried to submit the comment it wen through and posted at 2007-10-31 09:48:35 AM. If the past posts are any indication, it may take up to 24 hours for the mods to delete it.

No comments: